BRIEF HISTORY OF THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Business Education was established in 1999. It is a department in the Faculty of Education (Formerly), but presently Faculty of Education and Arts. The department runs a 4 years degree programme that leads to the award of B.Sc (Ed) Degree in Business Education. The department since its inception has faced the accreditation panel two times (2006 & 2012 respectively) and emerged in flying colours with full accreditations. The necessary details of the documents/records are in the relevant files. This Handbook gives a detail of structure and the requirements of the department.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE PROGRAMME
The philosophy of the department is derived from the National Policy on Education (NPE). The department of Business Education is therefore expected to enhance the development of the following goals among others:
1 The inculcation of the right type of values and attitudes for the survival of the individual and the Nigerian Society.
2 The training of the mind for the understanding of the world around.
3 The acquisition of the appropriate skills, abilities and competencies both mentally and physically designed to equip the student so as to contribute to the development of the society.
4 The inculcation of national consciousness and national unity in the individual
5 Respect for the dignity of labour and promotion of emotional, physical and psychological health of all children.
Section A sub-section 65 of the NPE (National Policy on Education) 1977 (Revised 1981) on teacher Education directs that the NCE and degree level teacher education programmes will be expanded to cater for the requirements of business Education in Nigeria. Department of Business Education shelters two academic programmes.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
Specifically, the department aims at:
1. Providing graduate teachers to teach business education courses at secondary school level.
2. Inculcating self-reliance in the graduates, which will enable them to set up and operate their own businesses.
3. Researching into and introducing innovative ideas in the teaching of business subjects in the schools.
4. Providing opportunities for serving teachers to improve and update their professional competence.
5. Performing educational service functions for the national education system.
6. Enhancing teacher commitment to teaching profession.
7. Helping business teachers to fit into the social life of the community and society at large and enhancing their commitment to national objectives.
8. Furthering the spirit of acquisition and creativity in the teacher.
The department of Business Education will in furtherance of this directive and of related objectives of the NPE offer at the moment the following degree options in business education
(1) B.Sc (Ed) Accounting Education
(2) B.Sc (Ed) Cooperative and Commerce Education.
TITLE OF THE DEGREE
The department awards the degree of B.Sc (Ed) in Business Education (Accounting Education) option. A student shall be required to pass 120 credit units to earn the degree of Bachelor of Science in business education.
The University general admission requirements for a four-year degree programme are five credits in the senior secondary school certificate (SSCE) including English language and Mathematics obtained in not more than two sittings in addition to an acceptable pass in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
1. A pass at merit level in a relevant diploma or NCE (Nigeria Certificate in Education) provided the candidate satisfies the o’level English and Mathematics requirements, or at least two passes in relevant subject area at advanced level, with satisfactory results in SSCE/GCE O/L or other approved equivalents.
2. Passes in two relevant/major subjects in the NCE, with satisfactory results in SSCE/GCE O/level credit passes or the equivalent. In addition, candidates for B.Sc Business Education, having OND, NCE and other advanced certificates in business related areas are qualified for admission provided they possess acceptable qualifications in relevant subjects at the SSCE or its equivalent.
Graduate of Business Education, can work in public services like teaching, administration, banks, industries, book publishing houses, foreign services, etc.
The enriched programme available to all students of the department is especially designed to equip them with all round education.
STRESS AREAS FOR BUSINESS EDUCATION COURSES
Introductory/Fundamental Courses 0
Business Education/Management Courses 1
Technology/Communication Courses 2
Mathematical/Statistical Courses 3
Software Courses 4
Business Courses-Law/Methods/Finance 5
Training/Exposition Courses to Students 6
STRESS AREAS FOR EDUCATIONAL COURSES (EDU)
Practical Teaching 7
Research Project 9
A student’s work will be graded as follows on a five-point scale:
% Score LETTER GRADE POINTS
70-100 A 5.00
60 – 69 B 4.00
50 – 59 C 3.00
40 – 49 D 2.00
40 – 44 E 1.00
0 – 39 F 0.00
Continuous assessment shall carry 30% weight of the marks to be awarded to any student in any course at the end of the semester. The Continuous Assessment shall comprise tests, quizzes, term papers and essays as may be approved by the Board of Examiners.
The minimum passing grade for all courses including electives and general studies shall be “E”. At any point in time, a student’s cumulative grade point average is obtained by multiplying the credit load of each course taken to date by the points appropriate to the letter grade obtained for the course, adding for all courses and dividing by the total credit load of the courses. Where a course is repeated, the latest grade made in such a course is used in the computations.
CGPA DEGREE CERTIFICATE
4.50 – 5.00 1st Class Honours Distinction
3.50 – 4.49 2nd Class Honours (Upper Division) Credit
2.40 – 3.49 2nd Class Honours (Lower Division) Merit
1.50 – 2.39 3rd Class Honours Pass
1.00 – 1.49 Pass Pass